The Spouse Sponsored KITAS is the Visa you are looking for if you are a foreigner married to an Indonesian Citizen. There are two available options: 1. The Spouse Sponsored KITAS (Kartu Izin Tinggal Terbatus) which carries a one-year validity & 2. The Spouse Sponsored KITAP (Kartu Izin Tinggal Tetap) which carries a 5-year validity.

By obtaining the Spouse Sponsored Visa there are many perks, which include:

  1. Validity to stay in Indonesia for up to 5 years
  2. An Indonesian ID KTP (Kartu Tanda Penuduk)
  3. Ability to obtain a drivers license, open bank accounts, apply for loans and credit cards
  4. Eligibility to become an Indonesian Citizen
  5. Eligibility to work or be able to start your own business as a sole entrepreneur without additional application of a work permit
  6. Eligibility for joint ownership of property with your spouse
  7. Additionally, you will receive a variety of other documentation including: Multiple entry permit, Indonesian ID and a national police registration card SKLD.

How to get a Spouse Sponsored KITAS

Step 1 – VITAS Approval

  1. Firstly, you will need to collate the following documents: valid passport and a copy of your passport, marriage certificate, copy of your ID and family card of your Indonesian spouse which has the ‘Married’ status, copy of your Indonesian spouse’s latest bank statement as well as a sponsor letter.
  2. Apply for a VITAS, (Temporary Stay Visa pre-approval)
  3. The VITAS will then be issued to the Immigration office in Jakarta, then telexed to an Indonesian Immigration office abroad. (The Embassy can be of your choosing).
  4. The VITAS approval takes approximately 5 days, you can then pick it up from your chosen foreign Embassy.

Step 2 – Converting your VITAS to a KITAS

Upon arrival back to Indonesia, you will have 7 days to convert your VITAS to a KITAS. During this time, you will not be permitted to leave Indonesia. You will be required to go to the local Immigration office for a biometric session, which will involve taking pictures and providing your fingerprints.

Your Spouse Visa will come with a Multiple Entry Permit (MERP) which will mean you may now travel to and from Indonesia freely.

Please remember, this is a non-working visa, so you will not be able to work or start a business in Indonesia. If you decide you would like to work at a later date; you will need to apply for a work permit.

Step 3 – Civil Registration & Reporting

Within 14 days of your KITAS issuance you must register at the civil department, whereby you will obtain your SKSKPS (Certificate of Family Formation of Temporary Residents) and STM (Police Report Certificate).